Sunday, December 23, 2007

Dec 24th - We have a winner!!!

Gidday Race Fans:

While all the detaisl of the score sheet are still being worked out, Sebastian Kawa (POL) drove his Diana 2 around the short course and won the day and the title of World GP Gliding Champion!!!

The day was very late getting started and then ended up being an undercall, IMHO. We left the line sometime after 3pm local, and the sky was still cooking with convergence lines, thermals and even hints of wave when we raced home form the far turnpoint at Mt. Hayes (near Burkes Pass).

TM managed to resurrect myself after yesterday's poor choices and poor flying. I was right in the running at the first turn and thought the decision to go back to weak wave was the best one for the glider I was flying at the time. Everyone really had the hammer down the entire wayua roudnhte course. The thermalling was som of the tightest, unforgiving I have ever done. It was really like thermalling with your "elbows out". But things were safe and we got a great race in.

I will be continuing my blog for at least a few more days as the GP Circus packs up for the Exhibition Racing (more on this later) at Wanaka and the NZ Air Games. Whether or not I go to Wanaka is a bit up inthe air right now as the really do not want us doing real racing for the public, but instead want staged finshes for the media. That's jsut not my style. I wish we had some more days to go racinginthis wonderful paradise of Omarama - but htat is the GP Format: Short and Sweet!

See Ya! Tim/TM

All the GP

No comments: